The english we speak(BBC教學) 第1期:Bits and bobs 七零八碎
Feifei: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei.
菲菲:大家好,歡迎來到“我們所說的英語”欄目。我是菲菲。
Neil: (Sounding distracted) Yeah, Hi, I'm err, Neil.
尼爾:(漫不經心地)嗯,大家好,我是,呃,尼爾。
Feifei: Neil, what are you.doing? Can we record this programme please?
菲菲:尼爾,你在做什麼呢?我們現在可以開始錄音了嗎?
Neil: Yes, sure, just a second. (Talking to himself) I still need to call the bank, turn off mobile data roaming, finish this script, buy mosquito repellent…
尼爾:好的,當然,就等一會兒。(自言自語)我還得給銀行打電話,關掉手機數據漫遊,完成這篇腳本,買防蚊劑。。。
Feifei: What are you talking about? We need to record this programme!
菲菲:你在說什麼?我們還得錄節目呢!
Neil: Yes, I know, just a minute. (Carrying on talking to himself) need to pick up the Euros, check-in, pack the bag…
尼爾:是的我知道,就等一下。(繼續自言自語)還得取點兒歐元,領登機卡,裝包。。。
Feifei: Neil! What on earth are you talking about?
菲菲:尼爾!你到底在說什麼?
Neil: Sorry Feifei. I'm trying to sort out some bits and bobs before I go on holiday tomorrow.
尼爾:對不起菲菲,我在理清楚我明天度假之前需要的一些“bits and bobs”的事情。
Feifei: Bits and bobs? What has Bob done? Why do you need to sort out Bob before you go on holiday?
菲菲:“bits and bobs”?關Bob什麼事?爲什麼你去度假之前要理清Bob的事情?
Neil: No, no. I don't mean I need to sort out 'Bob'. The word 'Bob' here is not a person.
尼爾:不不,我不是指要理清“Bob”的事情。“Bob”這個單詞在這兒不是指一個人。
Feifei: It's not a person? So what does 'bits and bobs' mean then?
菲菲:指的不是人?那“bits and bobs”是什麼意思?
Neil: In English, we use 'bits and bobs' to mean small things, or many different types of little jobs.
尼爾:在英語裏,我們用“bits and bobs”來表示小事,或者七零八碎的事情。
Feifei: Ah, so what you meant was you had a lot of small things to sort out before you go on holiday?
菲菲:啊,所以你剛纔是說你去度假之前有很多七零八碎的小事要理清?
Neil: Yes, that's right. Now let's hear some examples.
尼爾:是的。現在讓我們來聽一下例子吧。
A: What are you doing tomorrow?
A:你明天做什麼?
B: Nothing special, just a few bits and bobs.
B:沒什麼特別的,就是一些七零八碎的事情。
Mum: Alex, can you tidy up all your bits and bobs?
媽媽:艾利克斯,你能不能把你那些七零八碎整理乾淨?
Son: OK.
兒子:好吧。
A: Have you been to the shop round the corner?
A:你去街角的那家店了嗎?
B: No, I haven't. Is it good?
B:還沒去。那家店怎麼樣?
A: Aw, it's great – it sells all sorts of interesting bits and bobs.
A:好極了。那兒賣很多七零八碎的好玩玩意兒。
Neil: Do remember 'bits and bobs' is an informal saying so we wouldn't use it in a formal situation.
尼爾:一定要記住“bits and bobs”是一種非正式的說法,所以我們不在正式場合用它。
Feifei: Neil, what about the phrase 'bits and pieces'? Is it the same as 'bits and bobs'?
菲菲:尼爾,那“bits and pieces”這個短語呢?是不是和“bits and bobs”一樣?
Neil: Yes, 'bits and pieces' is another informal way of saying 'lots of small things'.
尼爾:是的,“bits and pieces”是另一種“七零八碎”的非正式說法。
Feifei: I see, so they are the same, thank you. (Panicking) Oh no, it's 7 o'clock. I need to go!
菲菲:我懂了。所以它們是一樣的。(慌張)噢不,已經七點了。我得走了。
Neil: But we need to finish recording the programme…
尼爾:但是我們還得錄節目。。。
Feifei: You can finish it Neil. I have to get all the bits and bobs for the party tonight before the shops close! Bye…
菲菲:你可以做完的,尼爾。我得在商店關門之前把今晚派對的一些七零八碎的東西買齊。拜拜。。。
Neil: Err, OK. Well, maybe we can just finish it tomorrow? (Talking to himself again) I have got the visa, still need buy travel insurance and a guidebook. Ooh, must remember to ring my mum…