雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第20章:誰是馬拉拉?(3)
As we waited for the signal to start the exam, I recited holy verses to myself.
等待開始答題之前,我心裏默唸神聖的詩句。I completed the paper but I knew I'd made a mistake filling in the blanks.
我答完了考卷,但很快發現我在一道填空題上出了錯。I was so cross with myself I almost cried.
我生自己的氣,氣到差點落淚。
It was just one question worth only one mark, but it made me feel that something devastating was going to happen.
那道題目只不過佔一分,但它讓我預感到某種更具破壞性的事情將要發生。When I got home that afternoon I was sleepy, but the next day was Pakistan Studies, a difficult paper for me.
那天下午回到家時,我很困,但第二天的考試科目是巴基斯坦研究,一門對我來說難度較高的課。I was worried about losing even more marks so I made myself coffee with milk to drive away the devils of sleep.
我很擔心自己會拿到更低的成績。所以,我爲自己泡了一杯加牛奶的咖啡,想以此來驅走睡魔。When my mother came she tried it and liked it and drank the rest.
母親來看我時,嚐了一口我的飲料,覺得很好喝,便一口氣把剩下的全部喝光了。I could not tell her, 'Bhabi, please stop it, that's my coffee.'
我沒有辦法對她開口說:“嫂嫂,別喝了,那可是我的救命咖啡啊。”But there was no more coffee left in the cupboard.
而櫥櫃裏的咖啡已經喝完了。Once again I stayed up late, memorising the textbook about the history of our independence.
這天,我照樣複習到很晚,背誦課本上關於獨立的章節。In the morning my parents came to my room as usual and woke me up.
一大早,父母和往常一樣來我的房間叫我起牀。I don't remember a single school day on which I woke up early by myself.
在我的記憶裏,在過往上學的所有日子裏,從沒有一天是我自己主動爬起來的。