The english we speak(BBC教學)第53期: with a pinch of salt不完全相信
Kaz: Hi. You're listening to The English We Speak. I'm Kaz and today I'm having dinner at Li's house.
卡茲:大家好,您正在收聽我們所說的英語。我是卡茲,今天我在李的家裡吃晚餐。Li: Hi, I'm Li and I've prepared some chocolate mousse for dessert.
李:大家好,我是李,我晚餐準備了一些巧克力慕斯。Kaz: Oh thanks. I love chocolate mousse. Mmm, it's delicious.
卡茲:哦謝謝。我喜歡巧克力慕斯。嗯,這很美味。
Li: Good! Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yes, I don't know if I want to stay in this house. I mean, Chris thinks it's haunted and that there are ghosts here! He says he can sense their presence...
李:很好!不管怎樣,我剛才在說什麼?哦是的,我不知道是否想帶著這個房子裡。我的意思是,克里斯覺得這個房子鬧鬼而且這裡有一些鬼!他說他能感覺到它們的存在。Kaz: Really? I can't sense anything.
卡茲:真的嗎?我感覺不到任何東西。Li: Shhh... listen? Can you hear something?
李:噓...聽?你能聽到嗎?Kaz: No Li, I can't hear anything - just the wind outside. If you want my advice, you should take it with a pinch of salt.
卡茲:不,李,我聽不到任何東西——只有外面的風。如果你需要我的建議,你應該不要全部相信這個。Li: OK, I will... Yuck! That's disgusting.
李:好的,我會的...噁心!這太噁心了。Kaz: Li, what are you doing?
卡茲:李,你在幹什麼?Li: I just ate my chocolate mousse with a pinch of salt, as you suggested, and it's absolutely disgusting.
李:我剛剛在巧克力慕斯里加上了少量的鹽,正如你所建議的,但這完完全全令人噁心。Kaz: Li, I was talking about what Chris said about ghosts in your house. In English, if you take something with a pinch of salt, it means you don't completely believe it.
卡茲:李,我剛才說的是關於克里斯說的你房間裡有鬼的事。在英語中,如果你把某事加上少量的鹽,意思是你並不完全相信這件事。Li: Really? What a weird expression. So if I take something with a pinch of salt, it means I doubt whether something is true.
李:真的嗎?真是個奇怪的表達。那麼如果我把某事加上少量的鹽,這意思是我質疑這件事是否正確。Kaz: Yes, and sometimes Chris does exaggerate, so you shouldn't always believe everything he says.
卡茲:是的,有些時候克里斯的確擴大事實,所以你不應該總是相信他說的所有事。Li: Let's hear some examples:
李:讓我們來聽一些例子:Apparently they're going to sell the company and make everyone redundant.
顯然他們不會賣掉公司來讓所有人被解僱。You should take it with a pinch of salt; it's only a rumour.
你應該別完全相信這個,這只是個流言。The other day he told me he speaks 23 languages fluently.
那天他告訴我他會流利地說23種語言。I take everything he says with a pinch of salt because I know he likes to exaggerate.
我並不完全相信他說的因為我知道他喜歡誇張。Li: Ah, right. So when Chris told me there were spirits or ghosts in my house, I should take it with a pinch of salt. Maybe he's just making it up to scare me!
李:啊,是的。所以當克里斯告訴我我的房子裡有靈魂或鬼魂,我應該不完全相信。或許他只是編造來嚇我!Kaz: I'm sure he just said it as a joke. Do you want some more chocolate mousse - without a pinch of salt this time?
卡茲:我確定他只是當做玩笑說的。你想再來點巧克力慕斯嗎——這次是沒有鹽的?Li: Good idea. Mmm, it does taste really nice without salt.
李:好主意。嗯,不加鹽確實嚐起來很好。Li: What was that?
李:那是什麼?Kaz: It's probably the wind?
卡茲:那或許是風?Li: It's not the wind. Someone's in the house! Look, there's someone coming into the room!
李:那不是風。有人在屋子裡!看,有人正在進到房間裡!Voice: Ooooo, Oooooooo, I'm a ghost!
聲音:嗚,嗚,我是鬼魂!Kaz: What the...? Hang on a minute, I recognise that voice.
卡茲:什麼?等一下,我聽出這個聲音了。Li: Chris, Chris? Is that you? Why are you covered in a white sheet?
李:克里斯,克里斯?那是你嗎?你為什麼披著白色的床單?Chris: I'm a ghost that's come to haunt you... I heard you made some chocolate mousse, Li, so I came over to eat some... Ooooo...
克里斯:我是來訪問你的鬼魂...我聽說你做了一些巧克力慕斯,李,所以我來吃一些...嗚...Li: You scared us! I really do have to take what you say and do with a pinch of salt.
李:你嚇到我們了!我真的應該不完全相信你說的和做的。Chris: Mmm... delicious!
克里斯:嗯...好吃!All: Bye!
一起:再見!Li: Unbelievable!
李:難以置信!